Using seasoning and herbs not only gives food some extra pep, but also can have health benefits. Here are a few spices to try:
- Black Pepper: It acts as both an antioxidant and antibacterial agent. It stimulates the breakdown of fat cells, which aid in digestion and weight loss.
- Chili Peppers: Seasoning with heat can boost fat-burning capacity and lower blood pressure.
- Cinnamon: It has been shown to lower inflammation, which has been linked to heart disease and cancer. It also reduces blood glucose concentrations in people with diabetes.
- Cilantro/Coriander: It helps decrease “bad” cholesterol and “good” cholesterol.
- Ginger: Its active ingredient is thought to relax blood vessels, stimulate blood flow and relieve pain, making it useful for arthritis, rheumatism and muscular aches. It’s also popular for treating indigestion and vomiting.
Quick Fact: Sugar by any other name would still be as sweet. Do you know all the names that sugar goes by? If you see any of these words on the label, beware – it’s sugar: cane juice, clintose, dextrose, malt, sucrose and fructose (or high corn syrup).