You’ll fall for this recipe. It’s pumpkin season! Sink your teeth into this delicious low-sugar cake.
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 c. warm water
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- 1 c. shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 c. canned pumpkin
- 1/2 c. plain lemon, peach or vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 c. sugar or 6 T. sugar + 6 T. granular Splenda
- 1/4 c. coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice or cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. raisins or cran-raisins
- 1 c. almond flour
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with coconut oil or line with waxed paper. In a small bowl, combine with baking soda and water. Set this mixture aside. In a large bowl, stir together apple, carrots, pumpkin, yogurt, sugar, oil, egg, spices, salt and raisins or cran-raisins. Stir in whole-wheat flour and almond flour. Add baking soda mixture, stirring to blend. Bake for 25 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Serves 16.
Recipes are provided by the Baptist Health Cardiac Rehabilitation Department.