It’s one of the hottest times of the year, and you’re looking to buy sun lotion for protection. But what are you really looking for in a sunscreen? According to physicians, consumers should be looking for these 5 ingredients, listed below, when making their next purchase.
1. SPF 15+ Sun Protection Factor (SPF) rating designates the degree of protection sunscreen offers from powerful UVB rays. These are rays known to burn the surface of the skin. SPF allows you to be in the sun for a longer period of time without having to worry about burning. For example, if someone burns in 10 minutes and they use SPF 15 lotion, they can actually go 150 minutes (10 x 15 = 150) without burning. A higher SPF gives you more protection, letting you have even more fun in the sun.
2. Ecamsule This ingredient helps protect against UVA rays, which are the rays that penetrate the skin’s thickest layer. Ecamsule is one of the most recent ingredients to be used in sunscreen in the U.S. Although this type of sunscreen can be on the higher end of the price spectrum (approximately $30 for a 3.4 oz. tube), it’s worth the cost to protect your skin against these powerful rays.
3. Avobenzone Avobenzone is a common active-chemical ingredient that helps reflect harmful UVA rays. Also look for octocrylene and octisalate in products that contain avobenzone. These two ingredients help avobenzone remain effective, keeping you safer longer.
4. Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide Another active ingredient you’ll want in your sunscreen is either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. Both reflect sun rays instead of absorbing them. People with sensitive skin should opt for a sunscreen with one of these ingredients to better protect themselves.
5. Water Resistance According to the FDA, a product is considered water resistant when it can maintain its SPF protection for a minimum of 40 minutes while swimming or sweating. It’s
important to remember that, even though you may have a water resistant product, you need to reapply the sunscreen throughout the day to stay protected. Next time you’re in the market for sunscreen, keep these ingredients in mind to get the most out of your purchase. Not only will you be able to enjoy the summer sun, but you can rest assured your skin won’t be in jeopardy.